Sani Hill
Sani Festival setting

The tower of Sani

Where the sea coexists in harmony with heritage and culture.

The tower of Stavronikita, better known as the tower of Sani, is located in the hotel complex of Sani Resort. It is built on a hill of a small, peninsula overlooking the entire Thermaic Gulf and the wider land area. The hill has been inhabited since prehistoric times and the acropolis of the ancient town of Sani of Pallene is also located there. The area is historically mentioned with the toponym «Pyrgos» as early as 1346 in a chrysobull (i.e.document) of the Serbian kralj Stefan Dusan in favor of the monastery of Esphigmenou on Mount Athos. It is probably built in the end of the 14th c. or in the beginning of the 15th c., since it seems to be contemporary with the tower of Agios Pavlos in Nea Fokea. At that time, there were more than a hundred similar towers in Chalcidice, to protect the shores from robbers and pirates. This very tower protected the metochi (dependency) of the monastery Stavronikita that existed in the area, from which it took its current name.

The metochi was founded in 1543 at the same time as the foundation of the monastery. Today it is preserved at a height of 10m. on its west side and 12m. on its east side. The shape of the tower isalmost rectangular with sides of 7.45 x 6.20m. It was probably divided into three wooden floors, which are not preserved today. From similar examples we can assume that it was housed with a low roof, which was not visible from the outside. On the top floor there was probably a chapel. The entrance is at the level of the first floor, on the west side of it, at a height of about 5 m. from the ground for security reasons; a movable wooden staircase or escalator was used for the entrance. The tower of Agios Pavlos in Nea Fokea has a similar form, similar dimensions and it was built at the same time.

The tower of Sani belongs to the ownership of the Greek State and it is a listed archaeological monument by the Ministry of Culture and Sports.


Ephorate of Antiquities of Chalcidice and Mount Athos